Alginate dressings are absorbent wound dressings that may be used on multiple wound types, including but not limited to diabetic wounds, venous wounds, pressure ulcers, cavity wounds, and some bleeding wounds. They can be combined with other types of dressings to achieve different effects and they are available in several sizes, their unique properties allow them to be used on a variety of patients. Alginates should be used as a contact layer, meaning they come into contact with the wound bed itself, and they always
require a secondary cover dressing to keep them in place.
Traditionally, alginates are made from acids that are obtained from brown seaweed. The calcium salts of alginic, mannuronic, and gularonic acids are processed into nonwoven, biodegradable fibers. When these fibers come into contact with fluid rich in sodium, the calcium ions undergo a transaction that results in the formation of a soluble sodium gel. This gel formation can also promote Autolytic debridement of the wound. Alginates have the unique ability to absorb up to 20 times their weight in fluid. Some alginates contain a silver compound, which provides antimicrobial protection and may be considered for an infected wound.
NuMed Calcium Alginate Dressing & Rope are made of soft, natural calcium alginate fibers derived from brown seaweed. They are absorbent and conform to the shape of the wound. When packed, an alginate interacts with the wound exudates or blood to form a soft gel that maintains a moist healing environment. The release of calcium ions can activate prothrombin and improve hemostasis. The gel like surface prevents the dressing from adhering to the wound, providing painless removal and can be left on for up to 7 days.
• Designed to adapt to the shape of wound cavity
• Quickly absorbs wound exudates and forms a gel like covering over the wound
• Fill in dead space
• They create an ideal wound healing environment
• Can absorb up to 20 times its weight
• Facilitate Autolytic debridement
• Easy to apply and remove
• Removal of dressing will not damage newly formed tissue
NuMed Calcium Alginate Dressing is indicated for use in treating:
• Moderate to heavily draining wounds, tunneling wounds
• Infected and non infected wounds
• Leg ulcers
• Diabetic ulcers
• Venous ulcers
• Pressure ulcers
• Surgical incisions
• Oncology wounds with exudates
• 2nd degree partial thickness burns
• Surface trauma and local hemostasis
1. NuMed Calcium Alginate Dressing is not recommended for use on third degree burns.
2. Not recommended for use on light exudate and dry eschar.
3. Not indicated for use on wounds that require surgical measures to achieve hemostasis.